Monday, May 14, 2007

Not much to tell...

• I am home again, and actually don't have to travel again for a couple of weeks. I am more pleased than I can possibly tell you, but I'm also completely exhausted.

• I finally got around to seeing The Godfather Part II last week, having only seen The Godfather last October. The more I think about it, the more I realize that both are films that are so great that they ruin all other films (like Steely Dan is to music, or Sorkin is to television). If you haven't seen them (and I know you are out there), hurry up and do it before the war.

• If you're like me (and that seems highly unlikely), you are frequently disturbed by what is sometimes referred to as "Art." In my prior job, I spent an awful lot of time mumbling under my breath about the king's nudity. I recently ran across an article written by one of my songwriting heroes about what is and isn't Art. After reading it, I feel justified in my cynicism.

• I'm restless, but I don't feel like moving.

2 comments:

Dave said...

The Prestwood article to me is a very interesting set of viewpoints; I hold the opposite opinion of almost every statement he makes.

I think at its most basic definition, art is the creative expression of the artist's view of his or her world. In this way, art truly does imitate life, and not all life is rosy, happy, beautiful (in the traditional sense of aesthetics), or "life-affirming". There are "ugly" things in our world that the human experience has a need to express just as it does the "beautiful" things. I don't think we have the latitude do define something as art based upon whether or not we find it pleasant or aesthetically pleasing.

There are so many things I feel I could say about this - instead of commenting I should probably just write my own blog post (which I should do regardless.)

galarza said...

if you think the godfathers I and II are the greatest (and yes they are) you should go into godfather III knowing that it maaaaay not be as good as the first 2. and do not be disappointed. it is not as good...