Sunday, May 04, 2008

My Coat of Arms

Meghan received a wedding invitation the other day. On the top of the invitation, the bride-to-be's family elected to include its family coat-of-arms. Something about that, in light of my knowledge of her life, seemed, um, unusual. I dunno. I usually associate coats-of-arms with duchies and people with Roman numerals after their name. The woman in question is great, but simply doesn't strike me as the type.

So I wondered to myself, "Self, why don't you have a coat-of-arms?"* The answer was that there was no good reason. So Meghan, Molly, Matt, and I got out the crayons and Jack Daniel's, and got to makin' ourselves a by-God fam'ly crest.

Here is my result (click to enlarge... again, if it were only that easy).



Here is Meghan's...




* - Phrasing in tribute to Meghan's now past-professor, Dr. L, who was also mine, and for whom I maintain great affection.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I like how "glory" is in your crest. Nice work.

Dave said...

That... is fantastic.

Molly said...

Nice use of the word "duchies."

galarza said...

wow...this makes me want to add to my "stolen blog ideas". but its too perfect to try to copy. :)

Russell said...

I feel a little jealous; my family has one and I'd rather create my own. Don't tell my Grandfather I said that.