Friday, December 25, 2009

A Christmas Entry

I suppose Christmas is a special enough occasion to warrant a rare blog entry. I don't know exactly why I'm writing, I just am.

The entire Christmas season is obviously exceptional in a number of ways. The way it tends to strike me most is how it always manages to bring about in me an inventory of my own life. I don't know that I really begin drawing judgments about where I stand until New Year's Eve is next on the agenda. But I do tend to take notes about where I am and who and what are around me as Christmas approaches. I think this is the case for a couple of simple reasons.

In my family at least, the celebration of Christmas tends to be a consistent exercise from one year to the next. The tree goes up on Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter. The shopping follows, the wrapping is next. General nostalgia and warm fuzzies follow. Real life shuts down a couple of days before the holiday begins unofficially with the arrival of friends and family, and officially (in my family) with a trip to church on Christmas Eve, whether I've been in the last year or not. Somewhere on or around Christmas Day, big meals are shared with people whom I don't see often enough and gifts are exchanged. When no huge events are taking place, football games between unlikely teams take place in unlikely locales on the nearest television screen. A minor letdown bridges the gap before the New Year's holidays. A major letdown accompanies the boxing up of Christmas and the realization that the only thing left is twelve more cold, miserable weeks before spring arrives. The order or exact locations may vary from year to year, but each Christmas is basically the same.

I have mentioned this in a different context before, but that sameness over time makes the changes our lives undergo far more obvious at this time of year. When a family member is added to the mix, it is particularly notable at Christmas. When someone is gone, their absence is certainly most strongly felt at Christmas. Be those changes a new home, a new scar, a new wife or daughter, or a new void left by a former spouse, parent, friend, or familiar landmark - the changes our lives endure become most obvious to us at the times when all else in our lives is familiar. For my family and many like mine, that time of familiarity is Christmas.

And so I have thought much over the last few weeks about those changes. I smile when I think about the positive changes, crowned obviously by the addition of my wife to my life and my family. We are also lucky enough to have a sweet dog whom we love very much, nephews who grow at an unreasonable pace, and a home which provides much more (though not enough) space than either of us has enjoyed before. I am also particularly mindful at this time of year of those things that have changed for the worse. Be it recently or long ago, the people who have left us have left a void that is most memorable right now. I always think of my maternal grandfather (Big Daddy) at this time of year, because he was a part of my first 23 Christmases. He continues to be missed.

I also tend to reflect on the fact that many of the things that have not yet changed will do so in coming years. The things that I know that are likely to change are the things that make me most emotional at this time. It is clearly a waste to allow my holiday to be darkened by things that haven't yet happened, when the nearest thing to an antidote to those changes is the simple appreciation of the present. So I don't.

But for me, it is worth a modicum of emotional cost at this time of year to consider the ways in which life has changed and will surely change. The end result is always a deep appreciation for my life and world exactly the way it is. That is something worth celebrating.

Merry Christmas.

18 comments:

Ludakit said...

I hate I didn't discover this on Christmas Day, nevertheless, I'm immensely glad to read your writing again.

甜心時刻 said...

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull, Some have weird names , and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.............................................

3月 said...

路過~很有趣吶...........................................

佩怡 said...

Better say nothing than nothing to the purpose. ........................................

王鈺雯 said...

KK777一夜激情聊天live show成人自拍貼圖自慰少婦自拍裸體圖片台灣色情成人網站情人視訊網情色留言板視訊美女免費視訊聊天室限制級極度震撼情色論壇色情特區自拍裸女貼圖潮吹性影片觀賞小穴情色片a圖片sex story性愛影片美女做愛成人色情網站性愛圖片成人情色貼圖全裸寫真集圖片走光圖女生陰毛自慰影片色情av1007成人色情聊天室女生自慰裸體照成人影音聊天台灣色情網站色情片打手槍情色天堂成人視訊聊天免費情色網站av網超性感辣妹激突成人論壇情色視訊聊天鹹濕成人網站av成人論壇免費美女視訊

于名于倫 said...

向小善致敬,它使人生旅程較為平順。......................................................

o0625TaylorJ_Duraz said...

快樂與人生,是最好的伴侶..................................................

OliveWol8888 said...

他能,假使他想他能;他不能,假使他想他不能。........................................

瑋玲 said...

人逢順境不逞強,身處逆境不示弱。........................................

裕以 said...

Thank you for Posts~............................................................

0612ConsuelaC_Hovey said...

成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人.............................................

慧玲 said...

本土天堂自拍台灣夫妻自拍做愛自拍照片打炮自拍貼圖夫妻自拍片免費線上直播片銀赫歐美av線上歐美av線上看歐美女自慰歐美成人女星歐美成人片女星歐美成人免費線上歐美成人情色歐美色情圖貼歐美免費成人電影歐美免費成人影片觀看歐美免費自拍歐美免費做愛片歐美免費情色影片模特兒平台標題樣?嫚雪兒免費小說影片avi影片a直播影片下?影片分享fuck影片成人片影片成人免費凹凸色色卡通圖片免費即時通視訊成人論壇巨乳

又陽 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德..................................................

SadeRa盈君iford0412 said...

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person. ....................................................

湖聿湖聿 said...

要持續更新下去喲!!祝你心情愉快.............................................................

哲維維 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。......................................................................

江婷 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

sf信dg豪d王d佳d玲gdw謝 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................