Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Holiday Randomness in Prose

In spite of the difficulty of recovering from Kip's visit, I am having one of the more productive weeks I recall. This is sort of strange, considering the disillusionment with music I am experiencing now (but have not blogged about for hope that ignoring it will cause it to disappear). In spite of the strangeness, I am ok with that.

I have recently begun to pay attention to the two professional teams Nashville "sports" (puuuuuuuuhhhhhlllllllleaze). The Predators are having a nice year, but I wish I understood hockey a bit more than I do, eh. The Titans are recovering nicely from a rough start, and the town seems to be behind them again. I don't think I will ever be able to be diehard for either one. I think only the Dawgs and the Braves get those honors. But I do randomly find myself yelling at the tv set when something goes well for one of them. Plus, it is a lot of fun to say "Go Titans" with a Tennessee accent.

Music nerds: I have learned that "James B0nd Theme" breaks at least two significant rules of orchestration. It doesn't seem to matter, though. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Casin0 R0yale... the real one, that is.

On the other hand, purchasing and cooking the PotatOH! was a waste and a bust... and not the good kind of bust.

I met another Georgia fan songwriter tonight, and that was kinda cool.

When the announcer on Family Feud says "Ready for Action," I never think they look like they are really.

I would be willing to bet Jared didn't have the chips or the Cokes.

I wonder if Gwen Stefani will have some more songs that don't sample or use material from old Broadway musicals.

I wonder why I know that about Gwen Stefani.

Lamest blog entry ever.

Yeah.

9 comments:

Michael said...

Her Letterman performance last night was one of the more ridiculous things I have ever seen.

Oob said...

This made me laugh out loud: http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/12/fug_it_up.html

Oob said...

ummm... yeah. You can't read that. Take my word on it, then. :)

That guy said...

She was on SNL this past Saturday. I spent most of her performance wondering what exactly I was watching, and spent the rest of it thinking that she was so much better with No Doubt.

But maybe that's just me.

Chris said...

I should be ashamed to admit it, but I like her stuff. I don't rank it high in the pantheon of music genius, but .... sigh. I just like it. Go ahead and mock me.

Brett said...

C - Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything she does sucks. I am saying that I would prefer to hear some stuff that wasn't derivative.

Michael said...

By the way, do you mind sharing the orchestration errors?

Dave said...

Always liked No Doubt. Rarely like Gwen solo.

Brett said...

M - They both involve range, and they both sound great. I would have failed an assignment in which I did either, and they actually sound to me like they kinda define the sound of the arrangement.

1. The main guitar melody crosses voices with the bass voice. In hindsight, it could be argued that the bass voice is actually the tbn/tba thing on 2 and 4,.

2. In the first part of the swing section, tubas and trombones cross below the bass voice (bass guitar, and by a P5 no less!). This time, they're not the bass... they're a countre-melody.

In both cases, they work because of differences in timbre.