Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Just another day in Nashville

Lately I've been kinda hyper-productive, which I guess is good.

This evening I had a co-write with a friend that I have seen a lot but haven't been able to write with very much. If any of you knows the tune about the mobile phone, this is the same guy with whom I wrote that. We decided to look back into that tune at some point soon, and we started a new one.

I have to say that my enthusiasm for writing with another individual is in a down cycle right now... I think he tends to simply admire the artistry of other tunes and imitate it in what we write. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and we seem to have pretty decent results. We are actually writing tomorrow.

Dave, on the other hand, is only a couple of years older than me, so we can work a little faster... and we never need to discuss whether or not a phrase is in the modern vernacular (Matlock and I had a prolonged discussion about the phrase "spooning" the other day... co-writing can be unusual). Dave does speak from a bit of a position of knowledge and authority in the industry, so I trust his critique and praise. He's also a musician, which, um, helps. At any rate, I really enjoy writing with him and it was nice to get back together again.

I guess that's kinda why I'm here. Not much else to tell.

(PS - Kenny L0ggins dropped into Dave's office yesterday. There's a really neat story, which I won't blog, but I will tell anyone who cares to know.)

No comments: