Monday, November 21, 2005

Sometimes I wonder if I really moved

I found myself back in Marietta later Thursday night than I had planned on being there. I hung out with Russell for a good bit that night and Friday morning, then once again made the trek to Athens. I met a great friend for coffee that afternoon, and said some things out loud that I think she has a unique ability to listen to because of her familiarity yet distinct third-party status with me. Off to band, followed by dinner with the Byrd R0lands, then great conversation with Trey which was very reminiscent of the old days, and hopefully is similar to more nights in the future.

I skipped Saturday morning band for the first time in a very long time, and it was nice. I ran into the Wolfe’s and Big Oob’s very quickly, then met Brad, Warren, and Steve F (old friend from the band) and hung out for a few minutes before the game. The game was obviously great, and there was enough time remaining afterwards for plenty more hanging out. That hanging out got a little bit more out of hand than I had planned on, but everyone was safe and understanding after the results were obvious (the next day).

Sunday, I met my dearest friend for lunch, Walk the Line, and dinner. The movie was absolutely phenomenal and I highly recommend it. I am still amazed thinking about it. I got to spend more time with her today, and then finally had to leave in the middle of one of the colder nastier rains I remember seeing in some time. I absolutely hate leaving… one minute you’re at home and comfortable with great laughs and conversation… the next you’re listening to a dj for hours, with the exception of a few welcome phone calls and text messages. Hate that. Bad.

To make matters worse, today was the longest trip I ever remember from Athens to Nashville. It was six hours in duration. Precipitation had begun before I left, and lasted five of those six hours. As I got halfway up the mountain, the rain turned to huge snowflakes, and conditions remained blizzard-like for the next twenty minutes. It was like a Winter Wonderland, except in the fall, and without the wonder.

I don’t know what’s coming in the future. I do know that I have work to take care of here, and that I have to be here to do it. On the other hand, I don’t know a soul in the world who has friends like I do… and at this point, it makes me most comfortable to realize that I could eventually do this in Atlanta or Athens once I get established. I get the distinct feeling that I’m going to always have those friends… I want it that way, and wouldn’t mind putting a few miles on a car to live around the people who love me most. I feel best when I think about that possibility, but I recently quit predicting the future – so we’ll see.

No comments: