Saturday, September 24, 2005

Boo freaking hoo

So, some of you who know me well know that I went to dinner with My Very Dear Friend at Five St@r D@y C@fe before the Athfest gig with the Funkles in July. Those of you who know me very well know that I had a moment of weepiness in the middle of dinner as J0hnny Cash played over the establishment’s hifi.

We had a discussion of the various sadnesses that tend (for me) to accompany the moving away from the loves of your life, the “Very Special” episodes of Every0ne L0ves Raym0nd, or the choice of new paint swatches at L0we’s. My Very Dear Friend knew me well… as I sat and all but choked on my meatloaf, she waited patiently until I could regain my composure and then changed the subject to something related to international politics or the future of radio, in a hope that I could act like a man until out of the public eye.

I have wondered ceaselessly until today what that song was,and why it hit me the way it did. Today, I decided to find the song, and in fact the exact moment in that song, which caused my occasion to emote excessively. I finally found it. It took me until now to realize that it was this song (track 15). I later realized that I had just watched Dr. Strangel0ve with Trina and Gunner not one week earlier, and that this song had played at the end of the film as the world was being destroyed.

Being the music nerd that I am, I decided to pinpoint the exact moment when I choked. I apologize to those who don’t read music or changes (or God forbid, lyrics), but this is when it happened (see example A). So, if you want me to get sappy, play this moment for me, especially after the chorus enters. Yet another killer moment in song. I’m such a sap, and I guess I wouldn’t have it any other way.

And thanks, Sarah, for not getting embarrassed.


Meetagain2

No comments: