Monday, January 28, 2008

Sick Day

I've been in the bed all day with a bug or imagined disorder related to one of the following causes: fatigue, strep throat, football withdrawal, Epstein-Barr Virus, Amazing Race withdrawal, the common cold, LOST anticipation, or avian flu. I'm not really sure, but I think it's probably a combination of all of the above.

Regardless of the cause of my incapacitation, it has left me with a lot of time to think. And that's not always a great idea...

• I have been enjoying a late bit of productivity in the songwriting department. Over the last year or so, I got into the bad habit of waiting to have a new idea before I wrote. Having finished the book to which I referred recently, I sat after the beginning of the year and began to focus more intently on my work. After several small victories, I realized once again that, by not writing every day, I rob myself of the benefit of my accidents. The results of my newfound productivity have made me smile.

• When I moved back to Athens in August, I decided that I was going to enjoy myself as much as possible while I was here. Because of this, I was paying very little attention to what I was eating, confident that I would be able to get back on track at a not-too-distant yet unspecified point in the future. After college football season ended, Meghan and I made a flexible pact to exercise and watch what we eat during the week, in exchange for looser guidelines on weekends.

Naturally, I have gained weight as a result. I have begun to notice that my old pants don't fit like they used to, and had considered buying new ones. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I decided to weigh myself (which I don't do very often). I volunteered to Meghan that, if I weighed as much as a weight rhyming with schmoo-hundred-and-fifteen pounds, then I would immediately join a gym.

I stepped on the scale, and holy crap there was no way it said what it did. But it sure looked like it did. I was shocked.

I checked it again later, and realized that I had read it as being ten pounds more that it actually was. Nevertheless, it is still about fifteen pounds more than I feel is acceptable for me. Looks like I have some work to do.

• I did attend Geee-em-ee-YAY once again this year. It was, however, the shortest visit I have ever made to the conference. I left Athens at abut 6:30 on Friday morning, and was back by 4:30 on Saturday afternoon. I got lots done, and got just a little bit of time with friends. I did, however, get a very good book recommendation from a friend.

• I finally have pics of synchronized swimming. Enjoy.





1 comment:

georgiagirl said...

HOLY SHIT - I laughed out loud!
It's definitely the bird flu.

did you like how I wrote bird flu, it's cause i'm not sure how to spell avian.