Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Week In Reverse, some commercial music, and a quote

• Meghan and I saw Charlie Wilson's War this evening. I thought it was quite good, and thought-provoking in an all too familiar way. Having seen it, I am an even bigger fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman than I was before.

• At the beginning of the film, the trailer for Cloverfield appeared. This is one of those films that I don't think I would watch at home, but that I would watch at a theater. I am betting that I will be seeing it alone.

• Last night, Meghan and I made our way to the Stegosaurus for Georgia's basketball victory over Georgia Tech. This is the first time I have been to a men's basketball game since I worked at the university ending in 2005. Little has changed.



Meghan frequently accuses me of approaching the camera poorly. Pot. Kettle. Black.



The Hoop Dawgs had a good night in a season that has been better so far than prior ones, but not quite what many had been hoping for. I often wonder if we'll ever have another great season.

Remember '95-'97? "The Tub?" Taking out the 8 and 1-seeds in the NCAA tournament, just before losing (in double overtime) a game we should have won in Denver? Playing in the final game of the conference tournament? I miss looking forward to almost every night at the coliseum, and I hope days like that return.

• On Tuesday, we finally saw Jesus Camp. It was extremely interesting. It was particularly interesting in light of activities that took place over the weekend (which I may discuss at a later date).

• Monday was obviously the B(C)S title game. I had a great time watching the game, but whatever. I'll bet Fox isn't just real thrilled, considering this.

• Many of you know that there are some instances of commercial music that simultaneously freak me out and attract me. I have found yet another example, which happens to be minimalist (or just repetitive) and the longest commercial in history.

It also contains some really encouraging information. < /sarcasm>



• I have been reading Jimmy Webb's book Tunesmith. It's been a fantastic read, and has me excited again about my druther occupation after a period of time when I had asked myself whether or not it was worth it. Nearing the end of the book, my favorite passage is in reference to an advertising agency, and follows:

Their creative staff (fine arts executives) will come up with the "pitch," the storyboards, "lyrics" (they insist on calling them "copy") and a handful of musical concepts. These are the guys who can get tears in their eyes telling you about a new name they have come up with for a douche.
- from Tunesmith by Jimmy Webb. © 1998, Jimmy Webb

1 comment:

galarza said...

i really like 'charlie wilson's war'. it was more entertaining than i expected it to be.

and jesus camp? simply disturbing