Thursday, June 02, 2005

Nuttin' much

Don't take that the wrong way.

I'm hangin (don't take that the wrong way) outside the music camp office being rarely consulted with. But I wanted to get a quick plug in for anyone who may be coming to Athens for the festivities of this weekend. You may know that Blue Sky Coffee closed at the beginning of the year. That had been my favorite coffee house since I arrived in town, and I really really hated to see it go. I have no problem with St@rbucks per se. But if I have to pay way too much for a cup of coffee, I would prefer for it to go to the proprietor of a local business rather than the coffers of a corporation that has successfully implemented a plan for a worldwide caffeine empire.

In fact, here's a suggestion for a possible conspiracy with no basis in fact or evidence. Is it possible that St@rbuck's is lobbying for the implementation of Pax Americana?

At any rate, I have been noticing for some time that workers have been painting the front of the former Blue Sky. Curious, I walked in the other day when it appeared that the place had been opened. Behind the counter, a young woman wearing a Blue Sky t-shirt asked to take my order, and it was exactly like old Blue Sky... eerily so. I paid, and just like the old days walked over to the carafe/decanter/thermos/pourer thingy, and there was the name of the blend: Dancing Goats, again, just like the old days. I added the sleeve to the cup... said "Blue Sky" on it.

My point? (Finally) If you're in the Classic City this weekend, or any time soon, maybe think about giving the local guy a shot. It's called Walker's, but they have obviously made an effort to retain the Blue Sky flavor. If you don't know where it is, it's on the south end of College Ave, two doors up the hill from the Corporation for Global Domination (and Rhyming).

2 comments:

Oob said...

oh....yeah. I'm in.

Ginnie said...

sweeet!! i can finally experience the blue sky phenomenon!!!