Monday, June 06, 2005

Reverse unroast

Wow.

I mean that.

I'm not going to wrap the weekend up because, like Russ, I am piss tired. Nevertheless, whilst it's fresh on my mind and my sobriety is at a peak level, I would like to offer a few thoughts about some of the people who made this weekend great. This list is in no particular order, except that the organizers and then everyone are at the end. I didn’t get close to saying thanks to everyone, but you’ll be hearing from me soon (Editor’s note: after writing for quite some time, I felt that it was in my best interest to point out that the expression “a few thoughts” in this paragraph should be interpreted to mean “many thoughts.” Thank you.).

Kit - You have an amazing knack for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. I jest. I never fail to genuinely enjoy myself when I am around you, and I will always enjoy your company.

S. Oob - You are an amazing woman. I always thought so when you were here, but who you have become is like extra-rad. Ridiculous eloquence. If you ever decide to try to write a song, please let me know. You will change your corner of the world.

James Earl Cox - You do not change. That's not a command, it's a fact. When I worry about everything changing after I'm gone, I think about you and I realize that the only way you will ever change is if you die. I like that, and I hereby promise to tailgate at your funeral as we did at your wedding, because you wouldn't have it any other way. You are as dear to me as anyone.

Laura - I get a little bit perturbed with the amount of positivity you exude sometimes because I don't see it. Yet, when I listen to you, I am consistently amazed at the good you find in me and everyone else. I love this about you, and will be relying on this for the next several years. You continue to be the person I call when I'm not sure I'm all that I'm cracked up to be... and probably will.

Dave D. – You absolutely nailed the soundtrack for the night. That’s one hell of an ear you’ve got on you, and I get the feeling that you might be in the right place. I greatly respect your musicianship, treasure your friendship, and look forward to more listening, playing, and singing with you as the opportunities present themselves. (PS – get your background singing chops warm… you will be receiving a phone call… I-75 north to Chattanooga, I-24 west to Nashville. Call the cell, I will talk you the rest of the way in.)

Leslie and Michael O. - L, I hope your husband knows he married up. In fact I know he does. I loved what you had to say and am humbled at the way you approached that moment. I won't ever forget that, and am on the verge of tears thinking about the way you verbalized my relationships and their impacts. Michael, thank you for getting in bed with me. Seriously, you always make me feel comfortable, welcome, and valuable. I have been pissed at you and around you before, but I have never ever been uncomfortable. I like being able to be myself, and you allow that. I miss being around you.

Corley - You might be the most loyal person I have ever encountered in my life. If I ever have kids, I would very much like for them to know you and to understand that the way you treat people is the way that it is supposed to be done. What's wrong with the world is that people aren't more like you.

Knight - Your mind is amazing to me. I know that lots of times you have to wade through bullshit to get to my real thoughts, and that I can say lots of stuff that is unnecessary. I really feel blessed to have a friend who can find the truth, and then make it funny if the situation warrants. What is frankly just as cool is that, when you have nothing to say, you say nothing. You are the essence of humor and discretion.

Trey – I am sorry about causing your divorce. The reason I continue to pursue you, though, is because I always learn something when I am near you. While your nickname (“Oh Great and Mighty Trey, Knower of Physics and Things About Europe”) was meant in jest, it’s actually pretty much true. You keep me honest and thoughtful, and you also sometimes cause me to be on time. Pinky swear that my leaving will not prevent our frequent grilling, drinking, football, and arguments about politics. A condition of my marriage to anyone will be that she must allow my mistress to remain a part of my life.

Ellen – Let’s make sure that you don’t ever meet my mother again… she will be sickened to find out that someone loves me more than she does. The feeling is unconditionally reciprocal.

Leigh – Outside of my family, the only person with whom I still have contact whom I have known longer than you is Warren. I have so many great, then weird, then defensive, then great memories of you from when we were younger and from recent days as well. I very deeply treasure that we are still a part of each other’s lives. You absolutely do everything right, and I find myself consistently trying to be more like you, minus the boobs.

Russ – I’m not sure I have been through as much shit with anyone as I have been with you. For the record, the idea to combine Dwight and the Pumpkin was a stroke of brilliance. When I think about things and talk to the Dude, I hope that what it is that you are supposed to be doing will present itself to you. You know all the other stuff, and I’m not going into it… I wouldn’t have spent 1/10 the amount of time with you that I have if I didn’t feel that way.

Tim – You might be the unlikeliest friend I have ever had. You do thousands of things for me, but the very best is to act as a mirror. In September and October, you kept me from melting down as well as anyone could have. That wasn’t the first time. How I ever got a friend like you, I will never understand.

Russ and Tim – Gentlemen, you could not have done it any better. I was, am, and will always be beyond grateful and stunned at the effort and thought you gave to my send-off. I suspect I will never understand what would have motivated such a well thought-out farewell, but I am going to assume that it’s a reflection of what you think and feel. That was way more than I could ever have asked for, and you have left one boy in awe of what has happened.

Everyone – Thank you for being here and being a part of this, whether physically or just by way of your second-hand contributions and thoughts. My new motivation is to write, pitch, and plug as hard as I can to ensure that that will not have been the last time we are together and having the time of our lives. You are all incredible and made me feel as good as I ever could have conceived about the time and energy I spent in this place.

I am as scared right now as I have ever been. But your being here has made this look possible, reasonable, and wise. Thank you so so much for doing what you did. I can’t tell you what it means to me. I do love you.

Onward.

1 comment:

georgiagirl said...

That post is the reason you are going to hugely, wildly successful in Nashville. No one else could have so fully and lovingly written it! Your way with words, your passion and your music are your ticket. You've chosen your destination and you've got what it takes. I know it'll be wild ride that never ends. Love you!