Thursday, June 29, 2006

Hrmmm, um, what to say...

It’s obviously the not-so-busy season in the blogging department for several of us, myself included. I know I haven’t posted much because there isn’t a great deal to tell that is that momentous. Since break-up part two, most developments that have taken place (except for a couple of visits to Nashville from great friends) have been internal and not of a great deal of interest. Plus, in reading some of my previous posts, I got really tired of what seems to have become a cliché at some point. It goes something like this:

“Things are about to get really good” or “Something is changing” or “It’s time for me to do something about it.”

Blegh.

So, I guess that leaves me with random time. And just to be genuine about it, I am going to use bullets.

• After moping about Anne for two days after I got back, I pretty much shut up and got on with life… again, a pretty radical departure from my past, but I think that’s a good thing. She probably flashes through my mind about once every 8 hours or so. That’s not so much.

• I’ve been reading this book lately, and it is wonderful if you enjoy thinking about trends and what large numbers of people can be compelled to do.

• I think I mentioned that Brad came into town for a couple of days after I got back. Earlier this week, Scorley came in for a day and we had a great time. Among other things, we wrote drill, drank way more than we should have, and found a very cool new restaurant where I will take you should you make your way to town. I also lost money in heads-up poker.

• Our waitress at the aforementioned restaurant is a writer/vocalist that I have heard several times in town. It does repeatedly amaze me how small the community or the world is.

• With the exception of a couple of last-minute gigs I have picked up from Alabama and hopefully something for Knight this fall, the horn book-writing for this year should be finished tomorrow (well, today… Thursday).

• Because I actually did get off my ass and do something about not feeling worth a damn ten days ago, I have been feeling more consistently physically good than I remember in many years (with the exception of the morning, er, afternoon after Scorley and I got into the booze).

• Would everyone think I was a wus if I didn’t drink whiskey anymore, and instead switched to wine? If so, would they get over it?

• Health Clubs: If you use them and have pointers for me regarding what to look/look out for, please fill me in. I think I have found one that I like, but I don’t want to do something stupid.

I guess that’s about it… nothing to whine about, no great philosophical realizations that aren’t going into tunes. I’m busy and never bored. I feel great, but not in a "wake up and conquer the world" sort of way... it's something much calmer and steadier, whether that's good or bad.

And that's that.

5 comments:

Moose-Tipping said...

Athletic clubs:

1. What do you want to do? If you're into cardio, look for a variety of machines (and plenty of them), a nice row of TVs for you to watch while you run/walk, etc. If you're into weights, check out the area. If you're into Nautilus, see if they have a Nautilus circuit already set-up. Look to see how many trainers they have (either free or paid).

2. Many gyms will let you do a week trial, to give you an idea if you like the place.

3. Check out the locker rooms. If they're not clean, don't even bother.

4. And the ultimate test: Go check it out during the busy times (5-7am and 4-7pm). If it's so packed that you wouldn't be able to get in the workout that you want, you might want to check out something else. If it's crowded but there are still a good variety of machines open, that means it's a good gym that has room for you.

TronG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TronG said...

Lauren told me that you were PISSED about not being able to do dinner last weekend. Well, mister, you need to get over it, because we WILL see each other soon...and this time, I won't be moving.

Okay, maybe that was harsh.

Sorry about dinner. :) It will happen, I promise...I won't let you down. I'm not going anywhere for at least 6 months.

Brett said...

Philip: Thanks for the advice.

Traci: Pissed? Well, isn't Miss Lauren the drama queen. I'll bet she watches Everwood. It wasn't a good day, but I only remember being devastated, not pissed. See that it does happen, eh?

Chris said...

I don't know squat about gyms.
What I do know- you shouldn't quit drinking whiskey. Instead, you should add wine as an occasional suppliment.
In either case, you must remember:
"There's nothing wrong with drinking before noon- especially if you're supposed to be at work."