Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Pots, Stones, Kettles, and Glass Houses

I have really tried to avoid writing on this topic, but the stupidity on the American air (or cables) right now is stunning. I could write for hours about this, as I'm sure others could, but I'm going to try to get this down to a few points. (Ed.: I just finished writing, and I made a IV in the brevity caption.) I write in fear of your judgment, but I can't quit thinking about this without expressing it... and I live and work alone.

- What Imus said was stupid, ignorant, and wrong... like very stupid, very ignorant, and very wrong. Was it "unbelievable" or "shocking," as I have heard it described by television personalities and one presidential candidate? I don't think so. I can think of a few things that I have heard that I couldn't believe I had heard. I can think of a few things that I have heard that literally jolted me. This wasn't among them. Hyperbole doesn't make anyone's supposed outrage any more believable or influential as far as I'm concerned. (I could frankly never stand the mumbling of that guy anyway, and I never understood why anyone ever listened to him.)

- What he said really was a true shame. At a time when the citizens of our country can't help but get fatter and give our jobs away, it's more than a little unfortunate that student-athletes are belittled by (once-)respected personalities. If you have any idea how hard those people work, you know they deserve better.

- If something equally derogatory were said about me and my university paraded me in front of the press to try to evoke some sympathy and attention, I would walk away immediately. I do enough to embarass myself. I don't need anyone's help in finding pity from others.

- One of the players said she thought she had been "scarred for life." Scarred for life? By words? That a person said? Really? It sounds as though the "Sticks and Stones" verse should be reviewed in the literature department at Rutgers. These athletes may actually be scarred for life... they can never look at a naked woman again without being suspect. This woman is scarred a little bit (and I kinda like it). This guy's scarred a lot. You're not scarred. Someone said something insulting about you and it hurt your feelings. And if the mentors and administrators around you were concerned about your dignity, they might have helped you realize that before throwing you in front of the press.

- You can attempt to silence the words of those who disagree with you all you want. If you succeed, the only thing you have done is make sure that those who believe something incompatible with the mandated belief will not speak about it. It doesn't mean that they won't act on it. Better the devil you know...

- I am tired of our need to have perfect public personalities. (eh... truly a weak but thought-provoking link) I don't believe a good drummer who who says he didn't smoke pot at some point. I don't believe a good songwriter who says he hasn't gotten drunk and done something stupid. I don't want a girlfriend who hasn't done something that she wouldn't talk about in public. I don't want an offensive lineman who never commits holding. I don't believe a professor of divinity who says he has never questioned the existence of a deity. And I sure as hell don't trust anyone who says they have never felt ever-so-slightly fearful of or threatened by someone who looks differently than they do.

It shouldn't be about being perfect. It should be about management of our prejudices, temperance of our worst instincts with our intellects and experiences, and the growth and improvement that result when the revelation of our destructive beliefs is challenged in an open forum of free and uncensored speech. If we turn off the mic every time we hear something we don't like, nothing will change.

5 comments:

Oob said...

As we continue to be pounded with more media-ocrity on this topic, I'm relieved to know that someone (YOU) are able to put into words what I'm sure many of us feel. Or maybe it's just me. Regardless, no judgement here. I especially enjoyed the perfect public personality segment. Well done.

That guy said...

I totally agree, all the way down to the Tina Fey thing.

Chris said...

Dixie Chicks, what?

Special K said...

If a presidential candidate came on the national news tonight (preferably CNN for further shock value) and put forth these words:

"I am terribly sorry that Imus made a decision to utter words of such ignorance on national radio which probably offended you, but come on...we still have a first amendment, which nowhere protects you from having your feelings hurt. So, get over it, move on and stop using your race for sympathy."

... then I would get in line first thing in the morning in order to cast a vote for them in Nov. '08.

Seriously, what message are they sending here? Are they strong people or are they naturally weakened because they are black? If the black community, led by its "leaders" would stand strong and firm and simply let this roll off their collective backs, race relations would improve and discrimination would be delt a mighty blow.

"mighty blow, mighty blow" <--- from the boxing video game of the 80s.

Ludakit said...

I'll be honest, the best line I've heard so far on this came from Doug at Hey Jenny Slater who said (paraphrasing):

"The First Amendment only protects you from the government infringing on your freedom of speech. Any major corporation has the right to fire whoever they want, whenever they want."

That being said, there are two things that geniunely frustrate me on this topic:

1) CBS and MSNBC only fired Imus after it cost them money and the MEDIA put increased pressure on THE MEDIA to do so. No one is outraged at CBS, MSNBC, any other news outlet, or any other face in the media spotlight (this would include Sharpton and Jackson). The media became afraid of itself and how this situation would affect its wallet. If it walks like a duck...

2) Now that Imus has been fired, it will interesting to see how the black community handles the black shock-jocks across the nation that use this type of language every day. I have a feeling that in 3 months or less, we're all going to realize that this was an issue where a racist man was treated like a racist man should be treated. Nothing more, nothing less.

And for the record (and I don't care how this makes me viewed), I'm not that outraged about what he said. It was unfair and totally unjust especially given that his remarks were based on race instead of fact, but they were just words. If anyone takes what Imus said seriously, then I'm ok with that. Darwin says they're either old or stupid, and therefore they won't last much longer anyway.



Good post, B@wcum. And thanks for the soapbox.