Monday, October 16, 2006

Dress Yourself in Red and Black

I'm back in the land of surprise divorces after an extended game weekend.

Three highlights, beyond the great company, which is a given.

1. Saturday's gameday experience, with the exception of the loss, was as perfect as any I have ever had. I rode into town with R and E from Marietta that morning. This was only the second time that I have made the trek from out of town on a gameday. The first time was my freshman year.

I pregamed the exact right amount, and thus was feeling exceptionally good (yet inside my wits) for kickoff. I got a great ticket (40-or-so-yard line, alumni side, 16 rows up) next to two great old friends. The weather was perfect for a sweatshirt for the first quarter and perfect for a t-shirt after that. I had both. I could see the game and worry about that and nothing else, which I did.

That night, of course, I medicated the loss with dear friends as is documented here. It was awesome.

2. Russ and Tony mention an appearance by David Sedaris, tickets for which Russ was kind enough to provide free of charge. He is one of my favorite writers, and Russ was cool enough to take my copy of one of his books and get it signed at the end of the night. While Russ did this, I went and sat on his couch, drank his whiskey, and hung out with his wife.

At night's end, Russ explained to the author that I had been at the show, but had to leave. Then he asked if he would sign my book. The author's response: "Well, f*@k him for leaving." Then he signed the book as you can see below.



I'm still kinda giggling, but wishing I had been there to hear it... er...

2 comments:

TronG said...

In my copy of Barre Fever, he wrote "Thank you for making me rich". I love that man, and his sister Amy too.

TronG said...

and that would be BarreL Fever