Sunday, November 12, 2006

Bullitz

• Great times in Nashvegas with BlogPong around. We caught Borat on Friday. It was riotously funny if at times completely inappropriate. Saturday you know what we did, because you did too.

• If you are interested in economics, globalization, or the future, you should read this book. It has affected my thinking more profoundly than any book I have read recently, with the possible exception of this book.

• I am getting restless. Like, bad restless.

• The following are some issues that I have with the way we use the English language. Some of you have already been graced with my monologue on these subjects, and that's okay. You may think my opinions about these things are wrong, but you are mistaken.
- The term "negative" as it relates to x-rays is misleading. "X-rays were negative" should mean that x-rays indicated something bad. This is currently not the case.
- The term "semi-annual" should not mean "every six months." It should mean "every two years." "Bi-annual" should mean "every six months."
- If one "receives" a "reception," then one should not "intercept" an "interception." One should "interceive" an "interception."

2 comments:

Ludakit said...

I feel your pain about being restless. Mine is for other reasons, but restless is what it is.

Looking forward to the trip up there in a few weeks.

That guy said...

I found both the Gladwell and Friedman books quite intellectually stimulating. Good choice(s).

And I'm with you on the quirky idioms, with the possible exception of 'negative x-rays.' I think in the case of x-rays, the options should be 'negative' and 'confirmative,' as opposed to 'positive.' Just a thought. A very nerdy thought.