Monday, January 08, 2007

The Big Ten is who we thought they were

41-14.

Wow. I really didn't see that coming. I thought Florida would win by 10 or so. But damn. Just damn (I swear I wrote this before PWD posted this.). Here are some game thoughts from someone who tends to leave things as important as this up to the experts.

Scheduling the title game tonight was a serious gaffe. The amazing momentum for the college game that built from the excitement of the other BCS games completely dissipated days ago. The compelling twists and turns provided by the NFL Wild Card games and the coaching carousel were very much in the air and the air waves all day today. Sports talkers were far too busy bantering about Romo's mishandled snap, Brady's post-season mojo, and Vick's questionable future on a Petrino-led Falcons team to give any weight to a game that has already been analyzed, over-analyzed, and put to bed in the thirty-seven days since we have learned who would be playing in it. It makes the college game look like a stepchild to the pro game, when most devotees consider the college game to be superior in many ways.

I enjoy Fox Sports broadcasts of NFL Football. The talent is great. The production is exciting and professional, if at times a bit cheesy. The Fox broadcast of college football, on the other hand, has lacked something. I assumed they would fix this for the title game, but they didn't. The broadcast title "Bowl Bash," for instance, causes me to expect fairway games, moon walk bubbles, and pink lemonade to be in steady supply for the game. Plus, the talent calling the game was bush league. J0e Buck should have been on this. Again, the college game is treated as a stepchild.

As far as the game itself, this was a meteor game if there ever was one (Sarah S. would definitely not feel that way, as her dad went to tOSU). I pulled against Ohio State and the Big Ten. Rarely has more noise been made by so many about so little. I also had to pull against the Fl0rida Gat0rs. All Fl0rida Gat0rs are miserable people. All of them. Period. That they own the football and men's basketball titles can only spread that misery.

On the other hand, the result of the Georgia-Florida game immediately following the last Gator national title gives me a little bit of hope. I'll take every little bit of it I can get when it comes to them.

So get your earplugs ready. You'll be hearing the chomp for at least the next nine-and-a-half months. And long before then, you'll hear the Big Ten hype start again.

2 comments:

Oob said...

"I pulled against Ohio State and the Big Ten. Rarely has more noise been made by so many about so little." OutSTANDing wording, my friend. My blip of time in the Midwest constantly left me wondering what the HELL all the hype was about. Great post.

Chris said...

It hurt... and I still hate myself for it... but I was cheering for florida. I know it makes me a bad person, but hiding it is worse than everyone knowing... sniff.