Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Belated Year In Review

I'm back in Nashville, and I am going to chip away at those things I have been intending to blog one at a time. Up first is 2006 in Review, with apologies to Galarza.

The Year in Numbers
• Number of people I dated: 1
• Number of times we broke up: 2
• Number of partial or complete horn books I wrote: 12
• Net increase/decrease in income versus that when I was employed by my previous employer: approximately 0
• Number of miles driven: about 17,000
• Number of days I smoked: 181
• Number of days I didn't: 184
• Number of Georgia Football games I attended: 6
• Georgia's home or bowl record when I was in attendance: 4-2
• Georgia's home or bowl record when I was not in attendance: 2-1
• Percentage points of fat I had lost three months after joining the gym: 8
• Percentage points of fat I regained between the beginning of football season and today: 3.4
• Number of most consecutive days I spent outside Nashville: 21
• Number of most consecutive days I spent in Athens: 21
• Number of books purchased or received: 19
• Number of those books I have started: 10
• Number of those books I have finished: 6


Travels and Travelers


Cities in which I spent significant time in 2006:
• Nashville
• Greater Atlanta
• Athens
• Chicago, IL (twice!)
• Columbia, MO
• Clinton, SC
• Bowling Green, KY
• Charlotte, NC
• Washington, DC
• Tuscaloosa, AL
• Savannah

People who visited me in Nashville (overnight stay not required):
• Russ (twice)
• Russ and Ellen
• Ki (twice)
• Adam H. (twice)
• Scorley
• Gunner
• Barnes
• Warren
• Will and Natalie
• Traci
• Candy
• Bowling Green
• J. Delk

Material Belongings


Stuff I bought:
• A laptop with portable MIDI controller (lets me work on the road)
• ProTools and a portable ProTools interface
• DVD Player
• A blender
• A Georgia Bulldogs Baseball jersey
• A bed
• A humidifier
• A car

Stuff I considered buying but didn't:
• Vonage
• A DVR
• A new guitar (imminent)

Influences

Books:
• The World is Flat
• The Tipping Point
• Freakonomics
• God's Politics
• The Fair-Tax Book

Movies/DVDs
• Closer
• United 93
• Little Miss Sunshine
• Borat
• The Village
• The Godfather
• Tom Dowd and the Language of Music
• V for Vendetta

Music
(honestly, there was very little)
• Beethoven
• Buddy Rich
• Miles Davis

Stuff I realized
• My dad is sick, and I need to appreciate the time I spend with him.
• Having my family close by may be much nicer than I once thought.
• It's hard to become financially secure working for someone else.
• I have never exercised and felt worse because of it. The converse is also true.
• Drinking is sometimes not worth the hangover. Sometimes it is.
• The odds are horrible, but if you are great they are the only thing you have to beat.
• Life is way shorter than I had ever realized before. That things aren't going perfectly for you right now doesn't mean that the whole world has gone to shit for all time.
It often really isn't what you're selling but how you sell it.
• Sometimes the process of acheiving the right result wrongs individuals. I hate that.

Things I will consider in the new year
• I will probably find some things I don't have if I will look for them.
• I need to worry less about results and more about doing things consistently, uniquely, and in the right way.
• I might need to act like an adult a little more often, but that doesn't mean I have to think like one.
• Less drama. Always less drama.

3 comments:

TronG said...

My boss loves The World is Flat book. I knew I had heard of it from someone. Mystery solved!

Ludakit said...

Ya know, it's kind of sad that pearls of wisdom can come from teenage date movies, but always remember to ask yourself "Is the juice worth the squeeze?"

It's been working for me lately.

Also, I should've told Traci she was hot more often when I was in Redcoats. It's kind of sad to know how clueless I was back then.

Fuck it. I'm going to go get a drink.

Michael said...

You are holding out on us. Let's see pictures of the new ride!