Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"Can't take your call; I'm at the office" and "Blue Monday"

Tomorrow, I head back to Georgia for Gee-em-ee-YAY! Russ is going to host me for the Ge0rgia-K.Y. hoops game tomorrow night. By mid-day Thursday, I'll be in Savannah eagerly anticipating a trip to the office with many of my friends. I'm sure that there will be many stories to tell, and that none of them will be bloggable.

In case you aren't aware, Blue Monday was yesterday. I am not sure if Blue Monday is always on a Monday or if it's the Monday nearest 1/23, or what, but it is supposed to be blue and one supposes that it is frequently on a Monday. Daly referenced it last year. And for the record, the Cure doesn't even care.

I can believe that one of these here few days is the downest one of the year. It has been more difficult than normal to motivate, and it does seem like it's (the sky, that is) dark all the time. In addition, my DVD player decided to quit working exactly when its warranty expired. Plus, remember that dryer that I "fixed?" Yeah. No, I didn't. It's dead again, and about to join my coffee maker in appliance hell.

Oddly, I am not that bothered by the fact that things seem down. Maybe it's a maturity that separates emotion from reality. Maybe it's that I will be around dear friends soon. Maybe it's that I really didn't want to see the DVD's I had here anyway. Maybe I have just become so cynical that I believe that it doesn't matter if things suck.

Regardless... When this time of year hits, I am reminded of the words of philosopher/meteorologist Phil C0nnor who said:
When Chekh0v saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of h0pe. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.
And then I taste vomit.

1 comment:

Bean said...

I just realized that the dryer you fixed and is now broken is a clothes dryer, not a hair dryer.... and all this time I've been wondering why you have been so worried about your hair dryer. My bad. I guess even brunettes have blonde moments sometimes.