Sunday, May 01, 2005

Every Weekend Should Be Twilight

Just after writing last time, Russ and Ln arrived after the Funkle show. We hung out for a few minutes and were then glued to the TV set as it was being announced that the Wilbanks woman in Duluth had been found in Albuquerque.* We all went to bed smiling and happy for the family.

Saturday morning, Gunner called and woke Russ and I for our round of golf, and what a round of golf it was. Gunner shot his best ever round, 67. Russ had a hole-in-one on a par three that didn’t even bounce; his drive literally landed in the hole. I know this is hard to believe but I got a hole-in-one on a par 5. What can I say I got a nice roll! Russ shot a 70, and I shot a 72.**

Russ and I went to Waffle House and brought it back to the 'kstone, listening to the radio as the Runaway (literally) Bride drama continued to unfold. I think all three of us took a sugar-induced nap and woke just in time to get dressed and head to Tasty World for Serena’s surprise welcome home party. We had a blast and I think she did too. We headed to the Grill, a non-local coffee establishment (grr), and a few minutes of the last race of the night before Dave, Russ, and I were to play with Modern Skirts.

I’m sure Russ will tell you this, but I will too. As were waiting to go on, he and I were standing in the back hallway that leads to the restrooms and back door of the venue. A young lady walked in between us and appeared to be oblivious to our presence. She tilted her head down to watch as she re-tied her sweater around her waist. As she completed the process, she jerked rather rapidly away from her body with both hands for the final tightening of her very fashionable knot. She gently struck me in a way that was not painful. She however struck Russ in the right testicle, effecting a groan not unlike the one I uttered on Acrophobia. It took the young lady a few seconds to realize what she had done, but when she did, she generously offered, “Oh my God, I am so sorry! Do you need me to rub it?” Laughter and pain coexisted for Russ for quite some time. He declined the offer.

The show was very cool. The three of us sat back stage and re-orchestrated most of the songs that the Skirts played, adding a three-piece horn section to the mix. Once we arrived on stage to actually perform, there was a great moment or two where I totally enjoyed exactly where I was when I was. It was very cool.

We returned home for some boxing and a significant amount of sleep.

I got a phone call about a get-together with several folks with whom I have worked very closely for some time. I would have made plans to be there if I had known about it more than one hour before it started. So Russ, Ln, and I went to lunch. When we returned home, Ln got on a cleaning kick. One room of my house is as clean as it has been in months.

Ok, gotta run. I’m going for a jog, but I will be back shortly.

Notes:
*I did not have to look up how this was spelled. Spelling "Albuquerque" is by far my strongest talent.
**Nothing in this paragraph is true. The rain compelled two members of the threesome not to even bother getting out of bed.

4 comments:

georgiagirl said...

I consider Brett's house like a campsite or a forest, you should always leave it cleaner than when you arrived. Thus the bathroom got a very quick wipe down but was indeed cleaner!

Ginnie said...

Hahahahahaha... wow. I wonder if she really meant that or said it because she always does.

Paul said...

How did the skirts show go? I'm sure it was great, but I didn't get to stay for the thing. Oh well... next time. After the CD is recorded I guess. In any case, it was good seeing you. I'll be sure to congratulate Russ for the hole in 1 ;)

PS - This is Paul and my site is at paulm.us.

Paul said...

PPS - That site for hosting mp3s I was telling you about is http://www.soundclick.com/.

Enjoy,

Paul