Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Update through full Day 2

I can't sleep.

I keep thinking about how well things are going here. There are definitely issues, as there always are. But there seem to be fewer issues than normal.

We didn't waste time learning drill without the horns... we were playing from the time we learned the first two pages. The music sounds pretty damn good for where we are... in fact, better than I have heard this band, maybe ever. I have heard them every year since 1990.

The drill is fine. I'm no Geo. Z, but it works. It makes the ensemble sound good. The hits are hitting. It is cleaning without a blatant attempt to do so. The opener is on, and without any question as to whether or not they know it.

You know me better than to think that I would ever suggest that an ensemble's success has anything to do with my involvement. I have always believed that the best thing an instructor or conductor can do is to stay out of the way. But it is going very very well. It is nice to be a part of improvement. I was never able to get away from Georgia enough to tell if we got any better while I was there.

I don't know how long this improvement will last. I have to give the band back in four days. But I have been impatient long enough to know that I should enjoy the moments of success as they happen rather than expect something greater. And I am.

But if this keeps going like it is, it could be very special for this band, this school, this community, and the staff and directors who deal with it every day. I am tickled at that potential.

On the other hand, I might have done something right. I am thoroughly enjoying myself. I hope they are too.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Good for you... glad to hear things are going well.

It's so great to see them "get it".