Monday, August 15, 2005

Entry of necessity

This is one of those entries that you post because you haven’t posted in a while and you don’t want to be made an example of. How about a glimpse into the random thoughts that have been in my brain lately? Excellent! Glad you agree.

1. I had a nice convergence of thoughts on Thursday as I watched DCI Quarterfinals. Boston’s show centered around “Joy” - the emotion not the girl or the dishwashing liquid. The “B” section of “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” hit me particularly strongly at about the same time as the Skirt’s last album title “This is Winning and Thinking,” the latest Foo Fighter’s tune “The Best of You,” and my slow but steady progression into the business. I don’t imagine Bach necessarily thought that he was writing something timeless when he wrote that. But it now, to me anyway, seems to say “This was the best there was in the early 1700’s. This was being true and beautiful in 1716,” or whenever it was written. Makes you want to be pretty careful about what you write down and call art.

2. The visit from S. Oob Thursday night was great. Of course it was great to see her… she always has intelligent thoughts and observations, along with an interesting narrative of her own day-to-day. It was also the first person whom I really knew that I had seen in two weeks. I hope my downloading songs from iTunes and my annoying piano play-along didn’t keep you awake.

3. I accidentally called FDR right in the middle of RCB staff introductions on Saturday. So I was reintroduced to the band as a staff member by way of cell phone. Their response was very generous and exactly what I needed. Gunner later called as they were playing Battle Hymn and The Chant for the first time. It sounded great from what I could tell. I can’t wait to hear them live… four weeks.

4. I heard a very interesting tracking session for a major gospel act last week, thanks to an old acquaintance (the engineer) who was kind enough to invite me in. The process is amazing, and is loose enough around the edges that I think I would be very happy in production some day. You wind up having to put a lot of your own money up for those things, so that’s several years away.

5. This coming week, co-writes begin becoming more of a reality. Two co-writers (or potential ones) are returning from out of town, and at least one that I have established here looks as though it may take place this week. More of why I’m here in the first place.

6. I’m about 8 days from being done working my “day job” for quite a while, and I will be able to focus a little more on writing the good stuff.

7. Kit, thank you. I think I would take that over money any day, though some money would be nice.

8. Very special thanks to ln, and Gunner who helped me fact-find for a tune I’m rewriting. For the record, I’m glad I checked with you, because I was way off.

9. Lastly, I have decided not to post my music business explanation blog because it sounds too didactic. That is, unless I hear from you that you really want it, in which case I will post. Please don’t say you do out of pity… I only want to put it up if someone wants to read it.

Hoping my schedule gets back to normal pretty soon. I have seen the sun come up before getting to sleep each of the last four night/mornings. That is all.

6 comments:

Dave said...

I'm taking some time off from work - roughly the next two weeks - and given my automotive situation improves, I'd like to come for a visit.

galarza said...

yes, put up your music business explanation post. i dont know what didactic means, and i'd like to find out.

Oob said...

*grin*

I have newfound respect for Anita Baker. And weird keyboard sounds.

Loved every second.

Ludakit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
georgiagirl said...

di·dac·tic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-dktk) also di·dac·ti·cal (-t-kl)
adj.
Intended to instruct.
Morally instructive.
Inclined to teach or moralize excessively.

Michael said...

Go ahead and post it. It will make my life seem so simple in comparison.