Monday, January 30, 2006

No Space or Time

I believe a brief recap of the previous week is in order, and is in fact deserved for some of you who have been kind enough not to call me a slacker. So here.

For those of you who may not be familiar with why so many went to Savannah this weekend, the event was the annual conference of the Ge0rgia Music Educat0rs Ass0ciation. Many attend to participate in professional enrichment activities, hear concerts, or look for jobs. I go to catch up with some friends whom I don’t see often, and to try to drum up a little bit of business for my day job.

Last Tuesday 1/21, I finished preparations for several days on the road. That afternoon, I headed 30 miles south for a co-write. At the conclusion of the appointment, I drove straight to Marietta and crashed at Casa de la Blog This. Wednesday morning, I headed down to Savannah in time to check into my hotel, enjoyed a meeting with the owners of the company I will do a little bit of part-time work this spring, then headed to The Office for several hours of fun, revelry, bad jokes, good jokes, poor recollection of memories, and remarkably low tab totals by the end of the night.

Thursday and Friday were more of the same, but the main event of the day/night was the pilgrimage to and the stumbelage from The Office. Saturday I drove to Athens the long way in order to drop a friend off in Atlanta. I hung for the evening with Trina and several somewhat surprise guests. Sunday morning, I woke to a sick Trina (like seriously ill sick… more like a flu and less like a hangover). Jen made us breakfast, then I headed to Dacula where I got to see my nephews for all of 17 minutes. I proceeded to Special K’s home, where we successfully edited, cussed, and discussed his material for this fall. From there, I continued to the Eisenh0wer System and Nashville, arriving shortly after 11 PM local time Sunday night.

The trip was great. Most notable was the time enjoyed with old friends, reliving memories in the context of the many years of living experience that have passed since. At some point, Sean S. cited a line that Willie Nels0n had sung for Ray Ch@rles at a time when Willie knew Ray was sick and fading. He cited the line “I love you in a place where there’s no space or time.” Several of us discussed this, acknowledged the obvious meaning of intense friendship between the two men, looked around at each other and realized a parallel, then very quickly changed the subject to something less like love between friends and something more like farts, boobs, or liquor. That's about right.

Today I have fought with my computer, and we seem to be coming to an understanding. More computer, writing and writing, and laundry over the next couple of days, then a cool trip to the mounts of Colorado North Georgia this weekend. Possible snow this weekend in Blue Ridge.

2 comments:

.jrich. said...

Glad to hear nothing's changed at The Office :)

Oob said...

Just giving you a hard time, hon... who else is going to?