Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Amen

For better or worse, you probably have to be a music nerd like me to appreciate this video, which really shouldn't even be a video. If you're interested in the origins of one of the rhythmic patterns that is ridiculously prevalent in modern music and advertising, this is worth 15 minutes of your free time. It's a bit dry, and I don't agree with the conclusions that the narrater makes.

Nevertheless, it's very interesting. What caused me to post this was hearing the break on a commercial for this product.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I must be a nerd because I found this very interesting. I hate you.

Brett said...

Cool.

Chris said...

When mantioning sampling, I can't help but think back to the infamout Vanilla Ice interview regarding the hook to ice ice baby.

I saw him in concert with MC Hammer. Times like this I can't believe I was a music major. sigh...

Gunner said...

I am at peace with my inner nerd. Amen Brotha.

That guy said...

If I'm not mistaken, which I probably am, I believe this break also appears in Ben Folds Five's "Song for the Dumped" from 1997. Ok, I'm done pretending I know what I'm talking about.