Saturday, July 29, 2006

Go on with the chlorophyll!!!!

• I’ve been writing drill and watching (well, listening to the television broadcast of) the Braves at the same time. Chip C@ray has got to stop referring to a ball hit off of the inner part of the bat as being “fisted.” It just has to stop.

• I am worried that I will either piss someone off or make several people feel ignorant by pointing this out, but I just have to say it because Chip made me think of it. I’m certainly no where near purfect when it comes to spelling, grammar, and proper use of phrases. But this one is bugging the living shit out of me, and several people in many different media and formats misuse this phrase.
The phrase “begs the question” really doesn’t mean “brings about the question.” Unfortunately, it’s been so misused that it has almost become acceptable. The original meaning is much cooler.

Sorry if I sound like a snob. It just really gets on my nerves, which shouldn’t necessarily compel anyone to stop using it that way if they want.

• I have recently been realizing (or thinking that I am realizing) how incredibly short life is.* I don’t know why, it’s just been on my mind. It’s not really depressing or anything, but it does sort of reinforce the idea of one’s own insignificance. In a way, I guess that’s sort of freeing, much like the way Gunner and Trey once reminded me of how much bigger the world is than I thought it was at the time. Not trying to be profound, it's just what I'm thinking about.

By the way, I have mentioned before how some certain types of commercial music freak me out. And I now realize that's what it is. I don't know why it has the effect it has, but that music makes me think "Wow, life is short."

I don't expect anyone to get that. It makes absolutely no sense.

• Maybe it’s part of the same thing, but I’ve also been thinking about some of the really crazy or stupid things that I’ve done in my past. I think about them from the perspective of now and it feels like I would be incapable of doing things that are that misguided again. But I would imagine that that’s not true.

I guess my point is that it can be interesting to look back at a younger version of yourself and perhaps realize that the only thing you have in common with that person is DNA. I seem to feel that way about who I was as recently as seven months ago.

• I’m heading to Georgia then South Carolina to teach a show. And I’m hoping for a gin and tonic and a game of poker on the way.

P.S. - By the way, if:

1.You've never been unfortunate enough to hear me explain why time seems to move faster as you get older...
2. You haven't figured it out on your own, and
3. You have enough free space in your brain to care and want to know...

...then email me. I'm not putting everyone through it again, but for some reason I like to talk about it.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Woody Allen quoted: "I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." I've been throwing this around a lot in my brain lately. Makes sense.

Also, it drives me insane (on cop shows especially!) when they say:
"Ok, whatcha GOT??" instead of ok, what do you have?... or just what's up? I go nuts! It's just me I guess.

Good luck in GA/SC!

That guy said...

I totally agree with the 'beg the question' thing. It's the same with 'nauseous.' 'Nauseous' does not mean 'to feel the sensation of nausea,' it means to cause it. 'Nauseated' means to feel the sensation of nausea. Just FYI.

Whitney said...

Is your explanation for time going faster as we get older by any chance because each subsequent day/hour/minute/whatever is a smaller fraction of our lives as we age? A year to a 4 year-old is 25% of his/her life, while a year to a 50 year old is 2%, for instance. Just a thought.

Brett said...

Yes, Whitney. Good on you.

Whitney said...

it's a scary thought that a friend presented to me years ago.

also, i may be totally stressed at work or just dumb, but i don't get the real meaning of "begs the question."