Saturday, July 01, 2006

Superman Returns

I saw saw Superman Returns tonight, and I was somewhat whelmed. Rather than boring you with text about the film, I will instead bore you with a best and worst list about the film.

Best:

1. Used the original John Williams theme music.
2. Routh's delivery of the line "Good night, Lois," is a dead ringer for Reeve.
3. Kevin Spacey.
4. The space shuttle scene - probably the coolest thing in the film, and it's unfortunate that this happened so near the beginning.

Worst:

1. While I appreciate that director Singer was nodding to the original two films and the older character, I could do without the kitchsy "It's a bird, it's a plane bit." It sounded a bit like those people you know who want to sound spontaneaous, but deliver their one-liners with a little too much polish and just enough rush to sound not rehearsed.
2. Same thing but more serious... again, thanks for the nod to the original everytime it happened. But oh my God, "Truth, justice, and all that stuff?" Really? Leave it out altogether if you don't want to use the word... ya know, that word. But don't change Superman.

[Ed: Here is a letter I just wrote to the screenwriters of Superman Returns.]

Dear Screenwriters of Superman Returns,

Blow it out your ass.

Best wishes,

Brett

3. How completely obvious the twist was before the movie was ten minutes old.
4. No Richard Pryor (That's a joke...).

My opinion: Probably worth seeing at the theater if you loved the original two like I did. Make it a matinee.

2 comments:

Gunner said...

Saw it last night too. I COMPLETELY agree on the "good" list, would add "the piano scene"...and ask everyone: "How hard was it NOT to raise your hands at the beginning of the movie?"

Matt T said...

yeah, definitely put up the hands at the beginning.

for the bad list, I'd say they went a little over the top with the Christ metaphor/symbology