Saturday, July 22, 2006

I think this is one of the best statements about the Dixie Chicks situation that I have ever seen. I don't perceive that it leans one way or the other, and I think it captures the essence of why this situation sucks:

Though the politically minded lines drew the strongest applause, the Chicks' finest moments in Detroit came when Maines and her cohorts allowed fragility to creep into the equation. Another Griffin tune, "Top of the World," proved a heartbreaker, with Maines' voice conveying significant depth of emotion as she sang, "There's a whole lot of singing never gonna be heard/ Disappearing every day without so much as a word."

And that, in a nutshell, is the tragedy of the Dixie Chicks. Maines' sings her behind off, Maguire is a tremendous vocalist and instrumentalist and Robison's instrumental prowess and harmony vocals provide the pillow on which everything else rests. The new band of supporting musicians is a remarkable unit, full of stomp and swagger and twang. And yet the Dixie Chicks have become a nonentity, a target or a thorn to those who disagree with their politics.

In Detroit, the politics fell away and the songs reigned supreme. And during the show, it felt just like great music. And after the show, when the questions and context returned, it felt like a shame. There's a whole lot of singing here that should be heard. They heard it in Detroit, and they cheered wildly. In Nashville, we're still shouting too loudly to listen. - Peter Cooper, The Tennesseean - July 22, 2006

5 comments:

Russell said...

Printed in The Tennessean? Wow!

I love the last paragraph.

Chris said...

In my own defense, I didn't listen to them then. I don't now. Regardless of their unthinking political statements.

That guy said...

Same here. I've never listened to them, but not because I'm boycotting. It's just not my kind of music. I will say, however, that they have the right to say whatever they want. But if what they say happens to piss off their entire fan base, they should accept the consequences. Otherwise, don't make abrasive statements.

Brett said...

Exactly.

Moose-Tipping said...

Yeah, considering that the country music-listening fan base is majority Republican... that was a really dumb move. And rather a thoughtless thing to do at the start of a war.

But I like their new stuff, and I'll listen to 'em.