Friday, March 03, 2006

Ok

I am a pretty bad blog slacker at this point, but I guess I have an excuse. I haven’t been near a computer when I was free to at least point out some pointless piece of random something. I hope that’s enough. But if it’s not, I guess (as we used to say) that’s just tough. I love that phrase in weak sort of way, and I used to think of it when I wore Toughskins, which I don’t guess they make anymore. I am apparently too lazy (or more likely too sleepy) to accept this as a research project.

As of this typing, I have no idea where this is going. If this statement is still here when it makes the blog, you will know that I continued to not have any idea where this was going when I was finished. So. Here we go.

I went to Athens on Friday. When I left Nashville, the weather made it apparent that God was shamelessly showing off. It was the kind of day on which you would choose to have your wedding, your funeral, your Bar Mitzvah, your first house closing, or your vasectomy. Take your pick…

The ride down was awesome. I left the radio off, partially because I have blown one speaker, partially because it was 66 and mostly sunny, and partially because I wanted to have one of those conversations with myself that I have been known to have. I was quite engaging.

Drinks and philosophy with Trina ensued upon my arrival in the Classic City.

Saturday I read, and met Gunner and the Diva for dinner. I had a great time, and I think things are and will be going very well for him and his family.

Sunday, I had a great lunch at Five Star Day with Leslie, then went to a basketball game and became reacquainted with the Stegosaurus. I then drove for an hour, then met Sarah for dinner. She is calm, resolved, and happy. This is very good.

Monday, I met with Skip (who some of you don’t know). We had a good discussion about my June in Athens. I then trekked to Snellville to meet Lauressandro Moates. We handled what we needed to handle for their fall, and things are looking good. I saw their winter guard show, which caused me to settle on my new favorite song: “Oh What a World,” by Rufus W@inwright. Repetitive lyric, which isn’t uncommon… but a great melody, a really great instrumentation, and an enviable patience for the payoff (Ignore all of that if you aren’t me). Upon arriving back in Athens, I got the worst song evaluation I have ever received. I stewed on it for a couple of hours, and damn near let it ruin my night. Then I salvaged the night.

Tuesday, I made it back into what once was “the office” and said hello to a few folks, then made my way to Dacula to meet Doug H. (who only, um, five or so of you know) to discuss his fall. I continued to see my brother, sister-in-law, and two of my three nephews. Next was Robin, Erin, and Dory’s recital, which was great. This was followed by Cub, Trina, and my joining in the first night of the restaurant which is replacing Mi@ Madonn@ in Athens. It was just lovely, but I wish I appreciated really good food more than I do.

The next morning, I was up early. I went and saw my parents for a couple of hours. This was really cool.

On I continued back here to the ‘twood for unpacking and a co-write. Since, I have been working on a side project for Special K and thinking about some as yet unspecified things for the Big E.

Today, I had a conversation with an old friend of Steve’s who has recently moved to town from L.A. for the same reason I did. He’s kinda where I am in terms of figuring the town out, but has a lot of years of wisdom on me. We will meet soon.

I’m off to Tuscaloosa (one half of a really bad joke that I won’t tell) tomorrow to teach, then back here to work for a few days on Saturday.

I had written some thoughts down here, but I removed them just in case…

Long story short: Life is good. I don’t have to live in the middle of all the bullshit that is going on in Athens. I’m here, doing what I want to do. I get to leave when I want and stay when I want.

I guess I don’t have much to bitch about… I think that’s the first time this has been true since I started this blog.

Ok.

No comments: