Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I workshopped a tune tonight. Some of you will remember half of a song of mine about the conversations and thoughts that can be overheard in the average bar in America. I recently wrote most of the rest of it, and decided to take it to a group of writers in town that I trust for feedback.

To me, one sure sign that you're onto something or onto absolutely nothing is when no two people can agree what needs to change or stay the same. It is always a big thrill to get my sheets home, to read one person's complaint about a line, and then to read another person's comment that tells me to keep the line that is the subject of the previous person's complaint exactly as it is. My current disposition of the problem is that the song "must be thought-provoking." I'm sticking with that for now.

One thing that bugs me (and the reason that I don't workshop a lot) is that it is very difficult to find a balance between confidence and the willingness to learn and accept criticism. I suspect that one of the great skills of people involved in creative pursuits is to learn what criticisms to apply and what criticisms to acknowledge and then set aside. I don't suppose you ever really know that. One probably just continues to guess. I'm sticking with that for now as well.

1 comment:

Moose-Tipping said...

I understand you on the confidence vs. accepting criticism thing. Another thing you've got to keep in mind is that, just because somebody has more experience or is better known does NOT mean that your ideas are any less valid or applicable to your given situation. You have gotten this far because you are good at what you do; don't forget that when you open yourself up to constructive criticism from others.