Thursday, February 08, 2007

There are many like it but this one is mine

I have had two military-related dreams of late.

• In the first, I was a soldier lying on the ground in the corner of a field that, in retrospect, looked an awful lot like Legion Field (sans stage). I was one of a squad of eight or so, six of whom were lying beside me. Two soldiers were standing above the rest of us, their guns by their sides, facing another squad of friendly soldiers who had their guns aimed at our squad.

As I cowered in fear, the sergeant said, "Ok men, you're done. B@wcum, your turn." So I stood up, picked up my gun, and faced the other squad. The sergeant yelled at me, and told my to put my gun down. I turned to him and said, "What? Do you expect me to just stand here unarmed and face these men with their weapons fixed on me?"

"Yes," he said.

At this time, another squad came down the hill (like the stairs by Bolton) and aimed at us as well. I stood there and imagined the bullet hitting me, hoping it wouldn't. I heard a shot ring out. I felt a bullet hit my shoulder. Then I woke up.

I think there is probably something symbolic behind that one that I'm not going into here.

• In the second dream, I was apparently a new Marine. I was wearing fatigues around Midwest. I saw Gunner across the lobby in the Hilton (where the Christmas tree is). He was wearing fatigues and carrying a man's handbag. He gave me this boy-are-you-in-for-it kind of look, approached me, and then laughed like he does when you crack him up while he's smoking. He told me to have my fun for the rest of the day, but that the "meeting" and "initiation" would be on Thursday at 2:00. He also said that I should be prepared to get wet. He also said that, although they would not be tying my feet, that I would need a "strong upper body to survive."

Then, Jason Gwinn arrived, also in fatigues but carrying his trombone. He just screamed at me at the top of his lungs in the middle of the Hilton, "That's right, you motherfucking faggot!!!!"** Gunner looked at him with no smile at all, then me, and lifted his eyebrows while tilting his head to his right as if to say, "Well, he's got a point." Gunner followed Jason as he walked out the front door onto Michigan Avenue to get a cab.

And then I woke up.

** For those of you who didn't know Jason, this was just kinda how he talked... and probably still does.

2 comments:

galarza said...

in fatigues & carrying a trombone? is that his weapon? it doesn't matter though as long as there were males in military uniform.

That guy said...

Did you happen to fall asleep while watching "Jarhead" on HBO? 'Cause I did that the other night with a similar result...