Sunday, April 10, 2005

More thoughts on the weekend

I am going to be more careful in the future about telling the whole story. "Why, Brett," you might ask. That is an excellent question.

I have noticed that the more I blog, the less I actually talk to you. Perhaps if I pique your interest enough, you will want to know more. Then we can have an actual conversation, or an IM conversation, which by the way is still way inferior to a real conversation if both parties are reasonably intelligent and engaging. So, don't get disappointed if I seem distant. That's not the point, [insert your screen name or blogger ID].

In reflecting more on my trek northwest this weekend, I think I am realizing its value. I didn't strike any deals, or meet any co-writers that I expect a long-term professional relationship with. Yeah I had a small victory or two, but nothing earth-shattering.

The value is in seeing things actually work. The path to getting to the professional point where I want to be is clearer than it has been before. It no longer feels like I am shooting into the dark... I actually have an agenda for the day my feet hit the ground.

I also heard the unlikeliest of success stories straight from the writer. There is a young guy who lives in Cleveland, Ohio who has this incredible story about how he got his staff deal. The long version of it is that he lived in Odessa, Texas, wrote three songs then moved to town (which is what people in the business call "stupid"). He gets married, and his wife is transferred to Rochester. He goes with her and quits writing.

For those of you who have been around when I don't write for some time, you can imagine what this did for the relationship. His wife signed him up for a camp in Nashville. It got him fired up again, and he wrote more. They moved to Cleveland, enabling him to make driving trips to Nashville. After a while, he became disillusioned again and quit. When his crabbiness point reached the threshold of considering marriage counseling, she signed him up for last year's edition of the same event that was held this past weekend.

He went reluctantly to the event, and in more unlikely circumstances wound up having his music being evaluated by a major publisher.

You will not believe what happened next.

6 comments:

Oob said...

Anxiously awaiting...

Will said...

you have to answer your phone in order for me to find out what is going on.

Brett said...

Sorry Will. Your phone calls have a knack for coming at the exact wrong time. I'll try to return the call tonight. Oobs's, you're going to have to figure out another way.

Dave said...

That's right - no telephones in Winder.

Gunner said...

Let me guess, the mail truck with his contract in it was in a horrible, burning accident in which the contract, his first check, and some free recordings were destroyed. He, two weeks later, in the throes of depression jumped off the Bellsouth Bat Building just at the new contract got to his mailbox...

Mr. Oubre said...

We have phones, but we have to have the operator to connect us.
Ass. :)