Friday, February 25, 2005

Don't Speak

I began writing an entry in response to two deaths of which I became aware today, and the fact that my Dad is in the hospital. I was going to rant again about how short life is and la na na na na, when I realized that I had spent ten minutes of my short life talking about how short life is.

I have learned in the last six months that there is no better way for me to kill an enjoyable situation than to talk about it. No details are necessary, but I completely saw myself in Ron Burgundy at the end of Anchorman as he and the News Team were walking through the park. They were legitimately enjoying the time they were spending until Ron killed the buzz by... talking about how much he enjoyed "laughing, enjoying each other's company."

I suppose it's different to talk about a situation after it has happened. Example: Mike Knight and I can laugh about sprinting from the criterium to our car in the North Deck at 10:50 on a Saturday night trying to beat "a deadline." If one of us had said, "Wow, we're really making memories here as we cross Broad," I think we would have felt dirty recalling the situation with any degree of fondness.

I'm not sure it's true for everyone. I have wonderful friends who might say "It's nice to see you again" or "I love being around you" at exactly the right moment and completely fulfill my need for praise for months with a two-second blurting of the truth.

I can't.

So, please know that life is short, there isn't enough time to worry, you've got to spend money to make money, you've got to believe in yourself, your education is what you make of it, there's more to life than everyone else's opinion, music is really cool, our differences are what make us worth existing, be nice to everyone, stop and smell the roses, America rocks, and that if I spend time with you that I enjoy it way more than I would ever be able to say without completely killing the buzz and trivializing the pure joy I get from the fact that you would take a few minutes of your all-too-short life to spend with me.

No comments: