Saturday, March 12, 2005

Conserviberal

I hesitate to mention politics, because I would prefer to enjoy the company of my friends rather than get all hot and bothered discussing politics with them. I’m not even trying to start something, I just kinda think something is about to change and I want to say it out loud.

It's a pretty well known fact that I am relatively conservative in my politics. I tend not to force that belief onto anyone because (call me a wus if you want) doing so rarely changes anyone's opinion and I am not sure I am right about everything. I'm always re-evaluating my politics, I don't believe everything that's on Fox News (or CNN), I think O'Reilly is just flat mean, and I'm not really sure whether or not I am indecisive. My religion test rated me as a Muslim, but I'm actually a Christian who loves whiskey, sucks at going to church, and doesn't see the point in insisting that you're wrong when I've got all those dirty clothes sitting in the floor (literally). But generally I am a supply-sider that wants to be left alone.

I don't think anyone on the left hesitates to give the Republicans credit for one thing: they know how to win an election. I think that a lot of the moral Right has been willing to deal with widespread corporate consolidation, the government’s looking the other way from questionable (if not blatantly illegal) accounting practices, and treating employees like valueless pawns because it hasn’t been hitting those people in their own pocketbooks (or male handbags). I know of at least two examples of this in my family, and at least two of my dear friends.

I think those people are starting to feel it now. Too many people are being let go or getting pay docked in the name of… say it together: a stock price. Some of these people have “W” stickers on the backs of their cars and immediately flip the channel when Franken or Garofalo appear on their tv screens. And I don’t think it’s going to be long before those people echo Network and say “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore.”

And if the other side is listening, and plays its cards vewy cewfuwwy, I think it’s enough for something to change… soon.

My $.02.

1 comment:

Trey said...

Shazbot! I can comment once again...
This doesn't sound very divisive at all.