Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Home again

Well we obviously had a great time at the game. We won, and enjoyed every second of it. After the game, we took the whole bunch to On the Border. There were many rumors as to who would be picking up the check. The answer was “you will,” where you≠Brett. We went to the charter service at Love Field and waited for the team and the plane.

The team arrived promptly. The plane did not. But it got there, and we began security screening as the baggage handlers handled the baggage…

apparently very poorly at some point, as they somehow managed to “scratch” the cargo door. Unfortunately, this necessitated calling a certified aircraft mechanic to come in and inspect the plane to make sure it was fit to fly.

After much hijinx, including a successful attempt by one of our members to secure the promise of a cigar in Chattanooga from the head coach of the team, we were off. I couldn’t sleep, but the ride back was absolutely beautiful. I have always been intrigued by the appearance of the world from the air, especially cities and the surroundings. I enjoy seeing the glow of the downtowns and watching the number of lights gradually fade as you pass over the rural areas, so that those few lights take on the resemblance of candles floating on a lake.

*unable to contain laughter anymore, he accidentally spews laughter and saliva all over the screen*

I did that just to be ridiculous. But it was pretty. We also passed over the thunderstorms which would hit Atlanta the next day. Watching lightning from above is amazing.

Seriously.

We arrived at the back door of the coliseum at 6:43 am Eastern Time, some 3 hours after our initial estimated arrival time. I went home, showered and headed to the office. I was actually coherent most of the day, whereas I normally wouldn’t be coherent all day.

Now my schedule is all whacked, but I think it was probably worth it.

I realized something on this trip. Though I am entering a field in which most work is done by individuals or small groups, I very much enjoy traveling with a large group of people like that. It is fun to watch their inhibitions slowly disappear, especially when a portion of the group like the team lives such a public life. It is neat watching them open themselves to the band guys, and allowing themselves to be a unique human for a while, rather than just another all-American or masthead caption. I will have to find a way to be involved in something like this in the next chapter, because I am reminded that I don’t have all the answers, and that there is some unique value to each person you encounter. I’m just not enough to occupy myself forever, and I suspect that’s why there is more than one person in existence.

Speaking of that, you’re all wrong about gun control and Schiavo.

I’m just kidding, but I will offer my $.02 soon. Dinner with a very dear friend tonight, and I’m trying to take head-pictures so I will remember what this feels like when it’s not so easy to experience anymore.

No comments: