Monday, March 21, 2005

Movie Day

Correction: Having heard the name several times today, the correct nickname is "el Pus."

I ate my second meal at a particular burger establishment for lunch, as most of the restaurants at the mall were closed when we arrived. This was also the only establishment at the mall that had a tv set, which was critical to observing the continuation of the bracket-busting that has been so prevalent in this year’s tournament.

We brought them back to the hotel, where a game of basketball ensued between several band members and cheerleaders. I am told that one of the female cheerleaders was a prep bball player, and that she took several of the band boys to school. Good on you.

Tonight was movie night, at the same old mall. I once again ate at the same burger establishment and am, in Gunner’s words, "in dire need of fiber." Most of the people went to see "The Ring 2." A few went to see "Million Dollar Baby," and even fewer to see "The Pacifier." I am a sap, and enjoyed "Hitch"… everyone else had already seen it. Loved it.

I left the theater with this big grin on my face, having laughed a lot over the previous 90 minutes. As I sauntered down the hallway, a few of the cheerleaders were looking at the ground as though something horrible had happened, and one in particular was coughing excessively and being watched on and off by the others. I went up to Schmateman, and at first there was silence. He then whispered that they had all absolutely wailed at the end of "Million Dollar Baby." It became obvious that they weren’t quite over that awkward moment at the end of the movie when everyone knows that everyone else cried, but doesn’t want to admit it yet. I was still smiling.

We returned to the hotel, in the midst of some crass, typical basketball band-esque discussion.

I think we are on the Uno Monday night at 7 Eastern. We should be back in Athens around 4am Tuesday morning.

New pet peeve: hotel toilets that have to "think about it" before flushing.

3 comments:

Corley said...

Yep. After 6 days on the road, a regime of salad, carrot sticks, and water is definitely in order....that is until we go again on Wednesday afternoon.

Michael said...

I have found it best to do my "business" in the lobby restroom. It's usually very clean, private, and has a little more "gumption" than the one in your room.

Corley said...

ESPN/local coverage moved from UGA vs. TEX to USC vs. MSU just afer halftime. Sorry not to be able to follow it reall-time, but good on ya anyways.
I was in a bar where the coach's local weekly AM-radio show was being broadcast...needless to say, a self-appreciation society.